Have you ever wondered what happens when ice cream takes a spin in the limelight? It becomes dreamy creamy rolled ice cream.
But hold onto your waffle cones because this isn’t your ordinary scoop-and-serve affair. Orderific unweaves the secrets behind this sweet sensation in this blog post, from its origins to the mesmerizing process of creating those Instagram-worthy rolls.
People worldwide are interested in sautéed frozen yogurt, also known as frozen yogurt rolling or Thai rolled ice-cream. This article will take you through the popular flavors of rolled ice-cream, offer an easy-peasy recipe for making rolled ice-cream at home and much more. So, let’s dive in. Read more below.
What is Rolled Ice Cream?
Rolled ice-cream is a frozen treat from Thailand that is loved worldwide. It is made differently from regular ice-cream. Instead of scooping it into a cone or bowl, a cold yogurt base is poured onto a chilled metal surface.
After adding different flavors, additives, and toppings, the base is then allowed to freeze into a thin layer. The foundation is next combined with different tastes, additives, and toppings before being left to freeze for a thin coating. Once frozen, the ice cream is skillfully scraped into delicate rolls using spatulas, resulting in aesthetically pleasing, Instagram-worthy dessert masterpieces.
The Origin of Rolled Ice Cream
Rolled ice cream’s origins can be traced back to Thailand, where it is known as “I-Tim-Pad.” Street vendors in Thailand began popularizing this delightful dessert in the early 2000s. To make rolled ice cream, use a cold metal surface called an “anti-griddle” to freeze the liquid base quickly. This lets vendors create ice cream rolls right away.
The dessert immediately became well known in Southeast Asia prior to advancing to the US and different nations. It is a favourite among food lovers on account of its tastefully satisfying presentation and capacity to be tweaked. New rolled ice-cream shops have opened in many cities, serving different flavors and toppings to please everyone’s taste buds.
Rolled Ice Cream vs. Traditional Ice Cream
Rolled ice cream is different from traditional frozen yogurt.
- Texture and Consistency: Customary frozen yogurt is stirred in enormous groups, consolidating air and making a smooth, delicate surface. Rolled ice cream is made fresh on a frozen surface, creating a smooth, thick texture that stays intact when rolled.
- Preparation Time: Traditional ice cream production takes longer because the mixture needs to be frozen in a special machine, which can take hours. Rolled ice cream, made on an anti-griddle, takes just a few minutes to freeze and prepare.
- Presentation: The most noticeable difference is in the display. Rolled ice cream is served in beautifully rolled cylinders, while traditional ice cream is typically scooped into a bowl or cone.
- Customization: It can be customized with a variety of toppings, flavors, and mix-ins. This allows for endless options during preparation. As a result, rolled ice cream is highly customizable.
The preparation process for rolled ice cream is entertaining to watch and an integral part of its charm. It begins with a liquid ice cream base, a canvas for various flavors and mix-ins. The base is poured onto the chilled metal surface, and toppings, such as fresh fruit, candy, or cookies, are mixed in.
As the base starts to freeze, it is carefully spread into a thin layer across the metal surface. Once sufficiently frozen, the ice cream is skillfully scraped into rolls using spatulas, creating those delightful spirals. Finally, the rolls are artfully arranged in a cup or cone and topped with even more goodies.
One of the most fantastic part of rolled ice cream is its vast swath of flavors. From good top picks like vanilla and chocolate to additional gutsy choices like peanut butter cups, mint chocolate chips, and cotton sweets, there’s a flavor to suit each frozen yogurt lover’s sense of taste. Rolled ice cream shops near you are likely to offer a wide selection of flavors, ensuring that you find your favorite.
Mix-ins & Toppings
Aside from plenty of flavors, rolled ice cream additionally brags a broad range of toppings and mix-ins. You can enjoy a brilliant combination of flavors by adding ingredients like cookie dough, caramel sauce, marshmallows, or even a chocolate chip treat. The choices are basically limitless, empowering you to curate your ideal frozen yogurt creation.
In addition to the traditional rolled ice cream, you may come across a few delightful variations of this frozen treat in select ice cream shops. These variations offer unique experiences and taste sensations:
- Stir Fried: To make stir-fried ice cream, you quickly freeze a liquid base on a cold metal surface, just like traditional rolled ice cream. However, the base used in stir-fried ice cream is often milkier and has a softer texture.
- Cotton Candy Burrito: A whimsical treat that combines two favorites – rolled ice cream and cotton candy. Roll the frozen yogurt into a gigantic cotton candy cloud to create a luscious dessert that will be a hit among children and grown-ups alike.
- Limitless Toppings: Some shops offer an “limitless toppings” choice, permitting guests to stack up their frozen yogurt rolls with however many toppings as they want, making a genuinely fantastic experience.
How to Make Rolled Ice Cream at Home?
Suppose you’re feeling adventurous and want to try your hand at making rolled ice cream at home, fear not! It’s simpler than you might think. Here’s a basic recipe with some suggested ingredients:
Rolled Ice Cream Recipe
- Liquid ice-cream base (2 cups) – You can utilize heavy cream, milk, or condensed milk.
- Flavor extract (e.g., vanilla, almond, mint, and so forth) – 1-2 teaspoons
- Sugar (discretionary) – 1-2 tablespoons, contingent upon your preference
- Garnishes/Toppings of your choice (e.g. cookie dough, chocolate chips, strawberries, and so on.)
- Whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or caramel sauce for sprinkling
- In a mixing bowl, combine the liquid ice cream base, flavor extract, and sugar (if using). Stir until well mixed.
- Pour the blend onto a cool metal surface (you can utilize a chilled baking sheet or a stone ledge) and spread it into a thin layer using a spatula.
- Sprinkle your picked toppings and mix-ins across the outer layer of the base.
- Allow the blend to freeze briefly until it becomes solid yet not excessively hard.
- Utilizing a spatula, cautiously scrape the frozen yogurt into rolls, working rapidly to avoid it turning out to be excessively hard.
- Transfer the rolled ice cream to a cup or cone.
- Top with whipped cream and drizzle with chocolate syrup or caramel sauce for extra indulgence.
- Enjoy your homemade creation!
- Cold metal surface: A granite countertop or a baking sheet placed in the freezer for a few minutes will work perfectly.
- Spatula: A flat, wide spatula is essential for spreading and scraping the ice cream.
Rolled ice cream is undoubtedly a delightful and visually appealing dessert that has captured the hearts of dessert enthusiasts worldwide.Its extraordinary planning process, endless flavor choices, and adaptable garnishes make it an overpowering treat for both young and old.
Whether you’re in the mind-set for a classic vanilla or a brave blend of cookie batter, chocolate chip, and marshmallows, rolled ice cream shops near you make sure to fulfill your desires. Furthermore, in the event that you’re feeling brave, why not make your own at home? Delight in a fun activity with loved ones and enjoy the outcome of a delectably refreshing treat that will leave you wanting more.
In this way, the next time you chase after some rolled ice cream near you, branch out and explore its fascinating universe of flavors, toppings, and blends.
You will definitely discover a new favorite flavor or mix-in that will make you keep coming back for more of this extraordinary frozen dessert experience.
For more such interesting blog posts, please keep checking the Orderific website and follow us on LinkedIn to stay updated on all the latest trends, news, and updates in the F&B Industry.